Goff Morgan - Adventures In Hack Poetry

A repository for the poetry of Goff Morgan, the one and only Newport Town Poet. Goff was the only official town poet in Wales from 1997 to 2000, and since then has continued in an informal capacity to write commissioned verse for BBC Radio Wales, and others.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Newport, Gwent, United Kingdom

I trained as an actor in the early eighties, and performed my own one-man shows until 2000. I was made Newport Town Poet in 1997, and have broadcast on BBC Radio Wales since 1991. My first solo programme for Radio Wales was "Goff At The Pictures", and I've recently completed a two parter called "Goff's Guiding Principles".

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Greetings!


Hello there! Welcome to my new blog page! For the last five years I've published my poems on my website at http://www.newporttownpoet.nav.to , but Fortunecity have migrated (rather in the manner of wintering starlings, one imagines) and the free software I've been using to write my site no longer publishes to the web.

This is a bit of a git!

But I've decided to adopt a new blogger attitude, and publish my new work here instead. I've just got broadband, and it's all a lot easier than before.

My old site will remain where it is, sealed in electronic aspic, and you can visit it if you want to, but all my new stuff will be here.

I'm also going to post the poems that I'd grouped under the heading of "Adventures in Hack Poetry" here as well. These are poems that were written after I finished as Town Poet.

Please feel free to comment - I've got a thick skin! If I'd listened to what was written in the local paper about me in 1997, I wouldn't be writing now.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!
We greatly enjoyed your contributions to 'Roy's Rarebits' and look forward to seeing more of them (especially the one about the little-known saints) posted on this site.
Keep up the good work,

June and Gerald Edwards

4:39 pm  
Blogger mary ryan said...

I enjoy your poems very much - why are you not on the telly?

1:45 pm  
Blogger mary ryan said...

I really enjoy your poems! Have you published them in a book, because I would love to get it?

1:49 pm  
Blogger Goff Morgan said...

Thank you for you kind comments! I'm not sure I'm photogenic enough for telly! Radio's enough for me, and you don't have to learn it.

I've a short collection of poems published as "Thoughts of a Lunchtime Swimmer" in 2000 by Newport City Council. You can get it from Amazon. If there's a problem, drop me a line and I can get one to you.

Thanks once again!

New work on it's way - I'm a lazy blogger!

6:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Goff

Your greatest fan and fellow athlete has organised an Evening with Goff Morgan but forgot to ask the great man himself if he is available. Can you give me a ring please

5:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Goff, Lynn Phillips here, you may be pleased (or otherwise) to know that we plan to look at your poems in school with the children as our project is, indeed, Newport.Who else would we use but the Town (City?) Poet?I have been filtering through to find the most suitable (langauge, language!)If you have any personal suggestions I'd be delighted to hear them.

11:38 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Goff
We've heared your hilarious poem called 'get stuffed' on the Roy Noble show on BBC Wales and would love to have the words for our Brother & Sister 60th Birthday party in July. Please could you post them on your site as this will go down a treat! Many thanks Melissa & Sheldon Phillips

11:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home